Introduction and how to order
If you are a picky audiophile and enthusiast of German earphones like Sennheiser earphones, you should seriously think about this. We custom this earbud with Sennheiser IE800 shell (including the curved front-end) and cables, with hi-end dynamic drivers made in Germany, so the sound quality could meet even the most sophisticate ears..
Choose the Assembling Option and our professionals will make it for you in 2~3 days (including 24h burn-in). Or choose the All Separated Components Option to enjoy the fun of DIY and save more budget.
You can choose the Dynamic Driver Options (i.e., the micro speaker inside of earbuds) based your own flavor of music. Please scroll down to hear the original recordings of these options and make a smart choice.
- 7.8mm XWB (Extra-Wide-Band) drivers with 20-45KHz frequency response (made in China ODM factory)
- Upgrade to 7mm dual magnets drivers (designed and manufactured in Germany)
You can also choose the Cable Options based on your use scenarios
- Original Sennheiser 2-stage cable with ceramic rings for identical look and feel as IE800
- Upgrade to 6N OCC manually braided cable for better sound quality
As an audiophile elite, you may need full details of your earphone for EQ setup, etc. Please choose the Measurement Option to get an IEC711 standard acoustic test report for your earphone, which includes:
- Frequency response
- Cumulative spectrum decay
- Impulse response
- Energy decay
How does this IE800 kit sound?
It’s pretty much up to the drivers you choose.
With 7.8mm XWB drivers
It is very much like the original IE800 – we measured and observed 95%+ similarity in the Frequency Response. Following impressions are only for your reference:
- Sound signature: Reasonably balanced throughout the highs and mids, with a gradual emphasis towards low bass.
- Bass: Awesome extension to 5Hz (see our measurement below) and kick for such a small driver. Some cases you can “feel’ the drum sound massaging your ear canal but nor “hear” it, a very magic experience. Good clarity, control and definition at low to medium volume, but ultimately a bit too bloated. More emphasis on low bass than on mid/upper bass. Very quick spectral decay and minimized the interference to mids, though there’s a gradual decrease of clarity/control in bass and increase of lower midrange warmth as you crank up the volume.
- Mids: Extremely clear and hyper-detailed, but not at all in an aggressive or artificially dissecting way (note the original XWB driver is with a 5dB peak on 6-8 kHz. We do same thing as Sennheiser to suppress it by damping in the front canal). The mids are probably the most natural and refined of all IEMs due to extremely low THD (<0.03%). Very good timbre with voices and acoustic instruments. Vocals in particular have a sublime quality of just „being there“, eerily lifelike and tangible.
- Highs: Almost at eye level with the mids, extended, smooth and highly resolving. The level of detail is stunning at first, but on careful listening treble turns out to be slightly too thin for a realistic timbre. Depending on fit, there’s also a tendency to exaggerate sibilant, though as a whole, treble is far from sounding harsh or overly aggressive.
- Transparency: Source transparency is excellent throughout the midrange and highs, but noticeably impaired by exaggerated bass. However, it’s worth mentioning that on the go the IE800’s bass boost compensates for the masking effect of ambient noise, and perceived transparency is better than in quiet surroundings.
- Dynamics / Soundstage / Separation / Imaging: The Senn‘s super-clear mids convey a feeling of directness and intimacy without much forward projection, but the driver‘s good dynamics make for excellent depth and layering. Owing to their very high resolution, the IE800’s separation is impeccable, with well defined space for instruments and vocalists. Stage width and presence of a center image vary a bit between downward and over-ea. Overall I’d characterize the IE800’s soundstage as neither overly spacious like the IE8’s, nor lacking or closed-in, but above all with a quite extraordinary sense of depth.
With 7mm Dual Magnet drivers
It keeps most characters of original IE800 and with improvements by doubled magnetic field strength::
- Sound signature: Well extended in both ultra low bass and highs.
- Bass: Boosted 1~2 dB and better controlled due to the stronger magnet. You can feel the bass with more textures than before.
- Mids: pretty much the same
- Highs: further extend between 10~12Khz which can offer you better airiness
- Transparency: pretty much the same
- Dynamics / Soundstage / Separation / Imaging: you will feel it’s something between IE800 and Momentum in-ear (9.2mm diaphragm) which has bigger sound stage.
How can I get the measurement?
We’ll email the report to including the Frequency Response, Cumulative Spectral Decay, Burst and Energy Decay, Impulse Response diaphragm for left and right channels.
We do all the test based on a standard IEC 711 coupler, customized sound card and ARTA software.
What is the difference to the IE800 Earbuds for Beginners?
There are major differences.
- 7.8mm XWB or 7mm dual magnet driver units with outstanding sound quality
- The earphone shell with curved front-end as original IE800. It reduces ~1mm distance between the driver and your eardrum and improves sound clarity.
- The ear-tips is Sennheiser proprietary design with anti-dust net.
- The original IE800 cable, original Sennheiser design which is 2 stages with 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks, with shinning Ceramic Ring and Logo.
- The 6N OCC cable with 3.5mm plug and MIC. It minimizes the Stethoscope Effect and ultra soft and durable.
Original IE800 proprietary ear-tips
See more details about the kit
The Original IE800 cables
The Original IE800 Ear-tips
The 6N OCC cable with MIC
How if I have special requirements?
Please leave your requirements in the ordering note and we’ll handle them accordingly, or contact our service account for any issue.