This is Sennheiser IE800 DIY KIT for DIY Elites to fully exploit the potentials and push the sound quality to extreme. And we ensure you this kit with identical outlook as the original IE800, and offering comparable or even better sound quality. .
You will need following skills to build this kit:
- “Golden ear” to discriminate issues in the sound quality, or have an acoustic measurement tool (e.g., IEC711 compatible devices)
- Knowledgeable on IEM structure and factors which may impact sound characters
- Good at gluing and soldering tiny components
Be afraid of the risk? No problem, choose the Assembling Option and let us make it for you (meaning you get a handy IE800).
If you are new to IEM DIY or have concern on the risk, you may look at our Sennheiser IE800 KIT for DIY Beginners which minimize the risk and everybody can make it.
How does this IE800 kit sound?
It is very much like the original IE800 – we measured and observed 95%+ similarity in the Frequency Response.
- Sound signature: Reasonably balanced throughout the highs and mids, with a gradual emphasis towards low bass.
- Bass: Awesome extension to 5Hz (see our measurement below) and kick for such a small driver. Some cases you can “feel’ the drum sound massaging your ear canal but nor “hear” it, a very magic experience. Good clarity, control and definition at low to medium volume, but ultimately a bit too bloated. More emphasis on low bass than on mid/upper bass. Very quick spectral decay and minimized the interference to mids, though there’s a gradual decrease of clarity/control in bass and increase of lower midrange warmth as you crank up the volume.
- Mids: Extremely clear and hyper-detailed, but not at all in an aggressive or artificially dissecting way (note the original XWB driver is with a 5dB peak on 6-8 kHz. We do same thing as Sennheiser to suppress it by damping in the front canal). The mids are probably the most natural and refined of all IEMs due to extremely low THD (<0.03%). Very good timbre with voices and acoustic instruments. Vocals in particular have a sublime quality of just „being there“, eerily lifelike and tangible.
- Highs: Almost at eye level with the mids, extended, smooth and highly resolving. The level of detail is stunning at first, but on careful listening treble turns out to be slightly too thin for a realistic timbre. Depending on fit, there’s also a tendency to exaggerate sibilant, though as a whole, treble is far from sounding harsh or overly aggressive.
- Transparency: Source transparency is excellent throughout the midrange and highs, but noticeably impaired by exaggerated bass. However, it’s worth mentioning that on the go the IE800’s bass boost compensates for the masking effect of ambient noise, and perceived transparency is better than in quiet surroundings.
- Dynamics / Soundstage / Separation / Imaging: The Senn‘s super-clear mids convey a feeling of directness and intimacy without much forward projection, but the driver‘s good dynamics make for excellent depth and layering. Owing to their very high resolution, the IE800’s separation is impeccable, with well defined space for instruments and vocalists. Stage width and presence of a center image vary a bit between downward and over-ea. Overall I’d characterize the IE800’s soundstage as neither overly spacious like the IE8’s, nor lacking or closed-in, but above all with a quite extraordinary sense of depth.
What’re the sound characters and how shall I pick?
There is no single earphone could fit everyone and every music! Being able to adopt to your use scenarios and flavor is the key. We therefore fine tuning the kit and provide 3 options:
- Standard: most close to the original IE800 sound characters
- Super-bass: 2.5 dB boost at the mid-bass, which is responsible for the body of bass guitars and the punch of kick drums. And the soundstage is also increased to 1.5X.
- Super-resolution: 2.5dB boost at the low-mid which makes the vocals and lead instruments rich, and makes the overall mix crystal clear. Another effect is the imaging getting improved.
If above digits confuse you, try below music and decide which you would listen most frequently:
- Sound best with the standard setup – the classic and pop musics
- “When you believe” by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston
- “Croatian Rhapsody” by Maksim
- Sound best with the super-bass setup – the rock and electronic musics, action movie and sound tracks
- “Drum poem”, China music
- Sound best with the super-resolution setup – the vocals and lead instruments
- Even Heaven by Aimer
How can you trust this IE800 kit?
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want the original measurement of your KIT – we test the Frequency Response, Cumulative Spectral Decay, Burst and Energy Decay, Impulse Response using standard IEC 711 coupler, customized sound card and ARTA software – and we can offer both snapshot or raw data file.
Frequency Response Curve of the kit
What’re in this DIY KIT? What is the difference to the Beginner Kit?
The KIT include everything you need to build and fine tune an IE800 IEM with identical outlook.
- 1 pair of 7.8mm XWB driver units
- 1 original Sennheiser IE800 cable (2 stages with 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks, Ceramic Ring decoration and Sennheiser Logo)
- Or upgrade option to manual braided 6N OCC with 3.5mm plug and MIC
- 1 pair of Sennheiser IE800 shell, with 70 degree curved front cover, better fitting into your auricle
- 1 pair of Sennheiser IE800 proprietary earpad, Silicon Gel
- Professional damping for sound fine tune – 3 pairs in low, mid and high density (no need if you select the “assemble for me” option)
The key differences with the Beginner Kit are highlighted above:
- The 70 degree curved front cover, the original Sennheiser design.
It allows the earbud better fitting into human auricle, meaning it would less possible slipping from your ear when running. Note it only works with Sennheiser IE800 proprietary earpad
- The original IE800 cable, original Sennheiser design
It is 2 stages with 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks, with shinning Ceramic Ring and Sennheiser Logo.
- The 6N OCC cable with 3.5mm plug and MIC
It minimizes the Stethoscope Effect. It is also ultra soft and durable, the 6N OCC offer the best signal transformation! Note it looks not like the original IE800, and the cost is also much higher due to the purity of copper (99.9999%).
See more details about the kit
The Original IE800 cables
The Original IE800 Earpads
The 6N OCC cable with MIC
How if I have special requirements?
Please leave your requirements in the ordering note and we’ll handle them accordingly, or contact our service account for any issue.